Friday, October 17, 2008

My new house



Above you will see a picture of my new house. Yes, I’ve lived with random families for six months. Upon arriving in my community, I started asking around for the house I could possibly rent after the 3 months of mandatory host family ended. People all told me there wasn’t anything, and were generally shocked that a young woman would live on her own (which is possibly why they told me there wasn’t anything when there was). They still act somewhat concerned for my safety, mostly because malientes exist like an hour away. But, after enough asking around, I found some different options, and then my final arrangement. One woman in my town (“La Negra”) actually lives and works in another town, and only returns every couple weeks to visit her parents. Otherwise, the house just sits unused. So, I now have a house. I mean, I’m kind of renting it/kind of permanently housesitting. But, it’s right in the middle of town, and it was almost completely furnished, down to the mandatory Virgin Mary pictures. I’m very happy. I went out and bought a hammock right away for the front porch. Putting my house in order has been a lot of work, but I’m very happy. And a great burden has been lifted as I finally have a space of my own in the middle of my community.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Abby, I love your house! I'm glad you've made it past this milestone and that you pushed until you got your house. How nice to have your own space. Now you can leave your door open and have juice and cookies ready for visitors!