Sunday, April 27, 2008

Training begins

I have now been living in my training community for one week. I’m living with a host family. They have two daughters, 15 and 11, with whom I share a room. They have already proved themselves very hospitable and helpful. For example, right after arriving, I discovered that some shampoo in my bag leaked, and they helped me clean up. This accident will also explain why there aren’t any photos on this blog. Yep, my camera is currently out of service. I’ll try to remedy the situation soon. The next night I got a bloody nose. I felt their concern again. Plus, I get three large meals every day and the opportunity to practice my Spanish. I am fast becoming fluent in Spanglish.
The days of training are very full. I have Spanish class and technical training. About 8 hours everyday. 8 am to noon, and 1 pm to 5. Not very much time to relax or process. My host family all get up around 4 am to commute into Panama City, so lights out is usually around 8:30 or 9. I need that much time to sleep though since I often get woken up by dogs, busses, or roosters (don’t be deceived, they do not only make noise at dawn to wake you up) But, I’ve already learned how to use a machete, make compost, host a environment movie night, navigate the bus system, and plant trees. Plus, we get to meet lots of current volunteers and hear about their projects. We won’t find out our own sites and projects for 3 more weeks, though I think my director already knows. I asked him a question the other day and he referred to “your site” since he has apparently already picked it out. I’ll try to get the details out of him. The highlight of this training week was going to Chorrera on Friday. Usually, a long day of listening to presentations on safety, tropical diseases, and regulations would not be interesting. BUT, we sit in air conditioning, get to eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, and have coffee around all day. Such luxury. Plus, afterward, we had the opportunity to go have pizza and beer and make telephone calls. No wonder they call Peace Corps Panama Posh Corps

9 comments:

Judy said...

How exciting to hear the news. I've been checking my g-mail all day to see if you are on for a chat. Also, watching a little Bear Gryls. Today's program is in Panama. Glad you are getting green veggies and fresh fruit.
Love, Mom <><

Judy said...

Dad is writing this. I was reading a blog about a former PCV using an outhouse in Panama and having a scorpion tickling his buns. How's your latrine? So glad to hear you are becoming in Spanish. Hilda will be thrilled. As will Uncle Dale. Was enthralled to see Bear work his way through the mangrove swamp, but I discounted his claims of 20 foot tides as hogwash. give me the real story on tides in Panama. Scored any camo yet? Love, Dad

jessica said...

Training sounds busy, but fruitful. I am excited to hear your final destination. Are those things you mentioned from training things you'll actually be doing at your site then? I pray you'll have good days, Abby, good rest and soak up every second of this adventure. You take care.

Beth said...

Your mention of roosters keeping you up at night reminds me of Malaysia. I also got the neighbor brushing his teeth in the yard - and extensively clearing his nasal passages! Sounds like you're adjusting well. Can't wait to hear where your site will be...

Kate said...

Abby! I found your blog. Asked Sam at big mtg the other night how you were getting by and he seemed to think pretty well. We miss your wit and smiling face around here, but I must say I am so excited for what you're venturing into! I'll keep checking back for updates. Praying for you.

videojen said...

i cant wait to hear your fluent spanish. how is your accent?

everyone around me (aka my mom and grandparents) are starting to speak spanish and only spanish to try to get me more fluent, apparently my spanish is horrid these days. hopefully im taking a trip to argentina and paraguay soon. but we keep saying that.

i wish panama and paraguay were close. maybe i can arrange a layover. :)

videojen said...

¡Feliz cumpleaños!

Te estraño mucho!

(hm. not sure if i said that right. but you know what i mean.)

jose is coming back! june 15th to the 930 club. i'd invite you to go with me but you are out of the country aaaand you'd probably fall asleep again. :o)

hope your birthday is amazing abby.

videojen said...

the time is off on this. i published that comment at 12:23 am on may 5th, thank you very much. :o)

jessica said...

Happy birthday, Abby. I love you. Read your mom's blog and I can't wait to tell Grace about your adventure. She'll be headed for the peace corp. for sure.