Yesterday, a young girl (that I am in some way “related” to, which is probably true of half the town) and I went to the supermarket close to town. This also happened to be around the time that people were getting off work and hanging out in front. We bought some cookies and left. As we walked out, she just turned to me and said, “Abby, todo el mundo estaba viendote (everyone was looking at you).” I just replied, “Esto es mi vida (This is my life).” I was reading an article by another volunteer, where she said she was the Paris Hilton to the people here. It’s kind of like that. I’m tall, blonde (people tell me all the time that I look like a Barbie), I am perceived as super rich, I have electronic gadgets, I have flown in an airplane, guys hit on me all the time only for my gringaness, and I am a subject of gossip. There are no DUIs, sex tapes, jail time, or Larry King interviews, and I try to keep my conduct super far from scandalous. But, I’m kind of a celebrity here.
No big events or news to announce, but life keeps on moving. Here are a couple more lists.
Things I didn’t like, but now I do:
1. Patacones. These are twice deep-fried, smashed green platanos. They are delicious. If you come to Panama, you must eat them. I will probably keep making them after I return to the States.
2. Being called “the Joven.” I found this insulting, being that I know I look like I’m 15, and it’s a challenge for people to respect me as an educated professional when they think I’m a high school exchange student. But, I’ve since found that Joven means more like a young professional person. I’d still prefer they called me by my actual name, and not “the joven,” “the gringa” or “the muchacha.” Though, when I once corrected some kids to call me by my name as opposed to “teacher”, the other teacher pulled me aside, and gave me a talking to about how she respected me as an educator, and these kids will show me respect.
3. Hojaldres. At first I thought they were boring, but I’ve come to realize how delicious deep-fried dough can be.
Things that are funny to Panamanians that I do or say:
1. I really like Arroz con Pollo, which is basically, rice, vegetables and chicken. Its sort of like the special celebration and birthday dish. I always act really excited when I get to eat it. I think my host dad thinks I go to special events just to eat it. People will tell me in advance that we’re going to eat it just so I can get excited. I also get very excited about rice and lentils.
2. I walk all the time.
3. I tell people I’m looking for a rich old Panamanian man, to balance out all the old Americans here that have young Panamanian girlfriends. Or, they ask me if I’m going to go to Boquete to meet some gringos, and I just reply that all the gringos there are old.
4. I make up Spanish words all the time. I made up a word for surgery. I made up the word for sweeping. Mostly people just nod and smile, but they catch me sometimes. And then its always a good story.
5. I have a really little umbrella that I can pull out of my purse.
6. I am kind to animals, pet them, and pick up all puppies and kittens.
7. And of course, the fact that I often misunderstand them. Hopefully I don’t appear as confused as I really am all the time.
Well, school has started again after two weeks of vacation. I used the time to try and meet more people and I stayed pretty busy. I got invited to a lot of different meetings. I also visited Cerro Punta and Boquete, the two mountain towns that get tourists (or retirees). Panamanians of course refer to these places as “really cold.” The day we went to Boquete, where it was probably about 60, my little niece showed up in gloves, scarf, and hat. (Photos of Boquete above).
2 comments:
Incredible country. Looking forward to visiting you this winter. You will always be a celebrity in your family, dear.
We love you. Mom <><
Abby, this is sooo funny to read...I'm not from a small town but I can relate and I can totally imagine how people relate to you because gringos were a novelty when I was a kid in Ecuador too! haha. Enjoy your Panamania experience!! You pretty well off :)
-Carolina Pena
Post a Comment