Things are still going pretty good. I have a month in site now. In some ways, it feels like the time flew, but there were definitely some long days involved. I do feel like I’m getting more integrated, though. I mean, now people will wave at me, or call out Abby, or ask me how I am, as opposed to stare at me and whisper. The pace of life is very different from DC (polar opposite maybe). I mean, they try to warn all the volunteers about the slow pace of Panama in comparison to the U.S., but of course, DC is more fastpaced and overcharged than the average U.S. town. I was feeling bad about the occasional afternoon that I sat in the house (studying), until I found out that the most common afternoon activity in my town is napping.
To help people understand my living situation, I’ve created a couple of lists (surely to be augmented with more time in country).
Most commonly asked questions, with answers (translated for your understanding):
-Do you like it here? A: Yes, its fresca, the climate is perfect.
-Do you like the food? A: Yes, others complain, but I love Panamanian food. Lentils and rice, Rice and chicken. I love it. And I “gracias a dios” haven’t gotten sick at all.
-Have you been here long? First time in Panama? How long are you here for? A: 4 months in Panama, 1 month here. My first time. I’ll be here for two years. I’m just starting. (Side note, when I say I’m here for two years, people do like to mention that I might get married and stay here forever. I tell them its not in my plans, but hey, in two years, quien sabe).
-So, you are teaching English here in the school? A: Right now I’m just in the school getting to know the kids and the community. And no, my program is not to teach English, but to work with the environment, so I’ll be teaching environmental education in the school. (Answer useless, they still think I’m here to teach English)
-You know Anita (other white person in town), right? You live with her? A: I have met her.
-You are studying here? A: No, I’m here with Cuerpo de Paz to work and live in the community. And I’ve already graduated from the university (they are shocked because they thought I was 17).
-You’ve been to Boquete? A: Not yet (also met with shock, because I’m a gringo and I haven’t been to Boquete aka Gringo-landia)
Signs that my site is ye-ye (or nice)
1. We have paved roads and sidewalks.
2. We have a bus, it runs every hour. People are shocked when I walk somewhere instead of taking the bus. But, it gives them something to talk about (ella le gusta caminar). We also have taxis.
3. Lots of people have cars, or motorcycles, a 4 wheeler, or a tractor. (Note, many people don’t though, and a horse or the bus is also common transport).
4. Though I am sending this from an internet cafĂ©, I don’t have to hike into town to get into one. In fact, there is an American family in my community, and they have internet, and I can go there and use it.
5. It is a one hour direct bus ride to get into David, second biggest town in Panama.
6. There are lots of extranjeros around.
7. I can drink the water.
8. Novelas and Vive la Musica (Panamanian American Idol) are commonly discussed topics, because everyone has a TV.
9. I have been in peoples’ homes that had computers.
10. There’s plenty of food.
11. When I meet someone, instead of telling me where they live (because they probably aren’t home a lot) they give me their cell phone number.
12. The dogs appear to be well fed, and you can’t see their bones.
13. My house has a toilet. And a shower.
Signs I am still in Peace Corps
1. I have to dodge cows while walking on the sidewalk, or when going to someone’s home.
2. People stare at me. Or whistle. Or tell me they love me.
3. There are chickens running around in everyones’ yards. These chickens are also dinner.
4. Everyone speaks Spanish
5. I ran into a (dead) Boa.
6. I eat a lot of rice
7. People are shocked to know the countries I’ve visited and ask me if its scary to be in a plane.
8. The malaria meds are making my hair fall out.
9. It is completely normal and not alarming at all that men walk around with machetes
No comments:
Post a Comment