I am currently here in my last day for my first (and probably only) visit to the U.S. during Peace Corps Service. It wasn't as wierd coming back as I thought it was going to be. I've been enjoying my time eating delicious food, doing a little shopping, seeing friends, and playing with my parents adorable new puppy. My main reason for coming was to see my friend Michelle get married in Boston, which was really nice. Though I didn't do too much shopping because the prices are a lot higher than what I'm used to or what I can afford.
Things that were different or wierd:
Obviously, I was observing a different wealth level and standard of living, but I guess I was prepared for that so it didn't shock me too much.
Touch screen phones. When I left the U.S. the blackberry and iPhone existed, but I only knew a handful of people that had one. When I come back, everyone has these snazzy touch phones and make fun of the ones that close. I'm used to people admiring my phone because it has a color screen, so it was wierd.
Realized I'd gone a year and a half without seeing anyone drink Starbucks. Didn't miss that at all.
Mostly it surprised me how expensive stuff was. The exact same Snickers that cost $1 here costs 60 cents there. I'm used to full dinners at restaurants for $2 and sodas for 35 cents. Blowing my day's wages to split a cab with some people was hard for me.
Going to a Kings of Leon concert since they've become popular. I've been a fan of this band for like 6 years. Used to seeing them at small clubs. I came back and went to Merriweather to see them with my brother. I was not feeling to sorority girls around us that only knew like 2 songs.
And mostly, the political situation in the country. This was my first time in the country with a President Obama. I watched that Obama speech where someone yells out "Lies!" and heard all this coverage about parents refusing to send their kids to school so they wouldn't hear the president talk about studying and staying in school. As I thought about Health Care, I just felt this sinking feeling that nothing would get solved with all this petty fighting. I remember Bush and how much people disliked him, but this level of disrespect and division was really disheartening to view in my country.
1 comment:
it was really nice to see you and spend at least one night with you.
your comments about the differences you have noticed since you left a little more than a year ago are very true and some of them disheartening.
Post a Comment